APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Smaller Mac Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bob Zelin
Re: Smaller Mac Pro
on Dec 22, 2019 at 7:26:27 pm

as Oliver has pointed out - there is competition, but people don't want Windows 10.
The HP Z4 can hold an NVidia RTX-2080ti, and is much less money than the expensive Z8.
And of course, custom builds, like the Puget Systems computers are also much less expensive, and are very powerful machines.

So yea - it would be great to see a $3000 Mac Pro - OR it would be great to see a $6000 Mac Pro as long as it included a 1TB SSD and a single AMD Radeon Pro Vega II GPU card. But for your $6000 you get nothing.

For me, it's going to be up to the third party hardware manufacturers - and what Apple will and WILL NOT let them do (based on that T2 chip). Can we stick in OWC RAM? Can we stick in an off the shelf AMD WX8200 ? I assume that countless companies will make "Promise like" metal drive enclosures, so you can just get your own internal drives (SATA or SSD) and just pop them in. But will this work, or will the hardware be blocked by the T2 chip. Same applies to assorted I/O cards and 10/40G cards from AJA, Blackmagic, Matrox, Bluefish, ATTO, Sonnet, etc. Will Apple hold us hostage, forcing us to buy "Apple only" - or can we just stick anything in here - just like the old Mac Pros.

What I currently find "entertaining" is the YouTube influencer's videos. Everyone has a loaded 2019 Mac Pro, with TWO of the new Apple monitors (and 2 stands) - and they are shooting their videos with a phone. So there is no way that these people actually purchased those expensive systems. It's a commercial. An "influencers" commercial.

We will see - I am still excited about the 2019 Mac Pro. NAB 2020 will be a good show (I hope) because of this.

Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]