APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Resolve 16 vs FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Hendrik Martz
Re: Resolve 16 vs FCPX
on Dec 19, 2019 at 10:57:45 pm

I've been editing on numerous Apps over the last 8 years. I wouldn't consider myself a professional editor, since I taught myself everything I know and I am not working for big post-houses.

I mostly do workshops with actors, where we shoot scenes for them. This has the following requirements for workflow:

We almost always have to collaborate, since I share the work with my cameraman. I do the editing and he grades all the scenes. We used the following Applications:

Premiere Pro (2019)
Resolve 16.x
Fcpx 10.4.6

Since we shoot guerilla style (on the streets, no preproduction), we deal with the following issues a lot: Bad sound, changing ambient light, low light and so on. Why am I telling all this: Because we need an app, which has a lot of sound repair features and good color grading options available.

The last big job, we had 13 scenes, which we edited, graded and finished in about 7 days. Thats 40 minutes of dialogue, feature editing. We used Premiere, which is very unstable, after the projects gets bigger. I use a plugin called Izotope RX 6 Elements. It completey bogs down Premiere (and Resolve also). We barely got the project out of Premiere and delivered. We had constant crashes.
Sound repair in Premiere and especially Audition is very good though.

The 2nd project we used Resolve and FCPX. My Cameraman shot on my GH5s and BM Pocket (old one). We used FCPX for editing (Had to conform the GH5s to proxies, cause NO NLE plays that stuff without Hickups) and graded in Resolve. No probs at all. FCPX is ultrastable. I never had a crash with it, and once you got some shortcuts figured out, its also very good for dialogue editing.

Last Project, we used Resolve, cause we shot on BRAW and FCPX can't read BRAW. That's a big caveat and a dealbreaker for FCPX. Resolve is not stable. I really like the editing (almost like the avid trim mode) and all, but you use plugins (Izotope and others), it really gets unstable. Its not ready yet in my opinion.

So this is a report from guys in germany, who run and shoot and have to deliver fast, and need a good built-in toolkit in the NLE.

For me the best is FCPX. I always come back to it. But w/o BRAW , we have to render out proxies from resolve, that takes time and is not good..

My 2 cents..

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]