APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Resolve 16 vs FCPX

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Brad Hurley
Re: Resolve 16 vs FCPX
on Dec 4, 2019 at 11:31:06 am

It's funny, with Resolve 16 I'm actually thinking of switching to Final Cut. It's partly because BMD rushes to release new versions packed with new features every year at the expense of QC and stability, but also because Resolve gets more demanding of my computer with each new release. Final Cut is performing more reliably on my 2013 Mac Pro; no bugs that I've encountered whereas Resolve seems to be full of them.

Resolve and Final Cut are so vastly different from each other until you get past the first assembly and start editing in the timeline. At that point the differences become more stark. I've been using Resolve almost exclusively for about 2 years now, and I find that I avoid making some edits simply because I don't want to have to go through the effort of looking down through all my tracks and figuring out which auto-select buttons to turn off and which ones to leave on based on the kind of insert or replace edit I might be making and its impact on tracks below it. I wonder if I'd be a bolder editor if I were using Final Cut.

On the other hand, all my footage looks better in Resolve, and audio is easier for me to manage in Resolve (e.g., built-in loudness meter, ability to connect directly to external editors like Izotope RX, etc.).

I'm working on two versions of my current project, one in Final Cut and one in Resolve, to see which side of the fence I end up on. I could of course edit in Final Cut and export XML to Resolve to do everything else but I like the convenience of staying within one NLE.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]