APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: New NVIDIA release will be the last to support CUDA on Mac

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: New NVIDIA release will be the last to support CUDA on Mac
on Nov 25, 2019 at 1:25:32 pm

I think that, and who cares what I think, but I think that is has to do with system architecture and stability. Installing drivers for Nvidia has never been easy on a Mac. Apple hasn't made it easy, Nvidia hasn't made it easy. The "wrong" but supposedly approved drivers used to do really weird things to the OS, including full kernel panics, and crashes.

I don't think this was necessarily Nvidia's doing, Apple was stingy on driver installs (still is, and Catalina is even stingier with the Notarization that needs to happen from Apple).

Metal is obviously a direct response from Apple about integration of the GPU in to the macOS system (and iOS as well) and Nvidia is finally done with it. Like what Ole Uncle Lamont used to say, When you can’t beat ‘em, quit.

My experiences with CUDA weren’t great. A lot of hype for not much performance. I am not surprised to see this. There were so many barefeats tests back in the day with all these really expensive GPUs that weren't doing a ton more than much less expensive (and less powerful) GPUs for most work. I will admit, I don't need ray tracing, I don't do VFX, so it has never made sense to me to have this ultra special card that renders a few frames more per second.

Again, I’m sure Apple could have made this whole process much smoother and easier, but alas, here we are. Honestly, I don’t blame them as the process to install CUDA drivers was kind of a dark art at times.

I guess we will see how Metal fares with some of the punchier VFX/Animation softwares transitioning to it.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]