APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Wow, I love this new FCP X focused story/video link.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joe Marler
Re: Wow, I love this new FCP X focused story/video link.
on Sep 9, 2019 at 12:56:12 pm
Last Edited By Joe Marler on Sep 9, 2019 at 1:01:05 pm

[Bill Davis] "until we get camera that record AND monitors ProRes RAW internally (hopefully with full Rec2020 HDR monitoring so you can see what you're actually shooting) the rigs are pretty unwieldy. "

I've shot the Ursa Mini a lot and I love the menus and overall design. The color and image quality is beautiful. However can be difficult to use in the field. You can bolt on an EVF and a bunch of other stuff, but that's not it's strongest point. There's a reason why true run-and-gun pro ENG work still uses fixed-lens camcorders with a 2/3" sensor.

For interchangeable lens cameras there are various options. The Sony FS5/FS7 are good but they are old and may be replaced by the upcoming FX6/FX9.

Up until now there hasn't been a truly professional large sensor "DSLR-form factor" mirrorless video camera. It appears the Panasonic S1H will be the first, unless you consider the BMPCC6K.

The S1H will record ProRes RAW to an Atomos Ninja V. Admittedly that's an external recorder but it's (superficially) smaller and more portable than an Ursa. It has 14.5 stops dynamic range, displays shutter angle and video gain, and has several built-in video features missing from the Ursa such as 5.7 megapixel OLED EVF, vector scope, waveform, dual-native ISO, dual zebra levels, and master pedestal. It supports the Academy ACES color workflow and can use the exact same LUTS and IDT as the Varicam 35. It was obviously not designed by the consumer electronics division of a large conglomerate; in fact the head of Varicam 35 had a significant role.

The S1H does not have built-in ND and I doubt cameras of that form factor will ever have that because mechanically there's no place to put it. It does have 6-stop sensor stabilization.

OTOH if you put a cage, shotgun mic, shoulder mount, XLR adapter, external monitor or EVF on an S1H, what is the difference between that a similarly-configured Ursa? You still have a "Tinkertoy assembly project" each time you set it up and break it down.

The BMPCC6K has a Super35 sensor, a built-in 5" LCD and can record BRAW internally to SDXC cards. You can only currently edit that with Resolve but ProRes RAW can only be edited with FCPX. In theory you can grab it from the case and shoot BRAW using only internal power, internal storage and the built-in LCD. However in many cases it will probably be rigged up which puts it back in the same category as an S1H.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]