APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Wow, I love this new FCP X focused story/video link.

COW Forums : Color Grading

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Gissing
Re: Wow, I love this new FCP X focused story/video link.
on Aug 29, 2019 at 11:21:20 pm

I've worked with Carsten & Giesla on some of their natural history docos in the days when they had budgets for separate sound post. I know he thinks long and hard about his choices and I totally respect what he says.

Using his logic, I have made different choices of camera & post systems because we all have to be comfortable with our tools and within budgets. It's just great that we have options that are allowing us all to have the freedom to travel and work remotely. I've just had 3 weeks traveling 6,000 kilometres to the Simpson Desert to film a pilot of a TV series, Remote Kitchen. I had 5 days walking over 60 kms following camels and scientists up and down sand dunes. When you have to carry cameras most of the day it makes you think long and hard about ergonomics, weight and reliability.

My choices were Blackmagic cameras, the Ursa Mini 4.6k and the BMPC4K on a Moza gimbal. I didn't need to edit on location but the editor is switching from Pr to Resolve to streamline the edit process to hand back to me for grade & sound. BRAW allowed me to shoot 4k at a similar data rate to ProResHQ HD. I don't agree you can zoom 200% without losing resolution however. There might be the right number of pixels but your optical resolution will diminish. I watch everything on my 65" 4k OLED monitor and I'd like to dispel that idea. Yes you can punch in but 200% causes softening. I otherwise agree about shooting 4k for HD delivery.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]