APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: The Cheese Grater is back

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Gissing
Re: The Cheese Grater is back
on Jun 12, 2019 at 6:42:20 am

[Bill Davis]"Not sure how it could be."

I've had many FPGAs in my equipment over the years. Fairlight upgraded my original card after about nine years. My latest FPGA from them is currently compatible with Fairlight in Resolve but for how long, I don't know. However that is audio and they are monster processors for that purpose so have lasted much longer. In video, two of my Blackmagic cameras have FPGA cards on board. My three year old Ursa Mini has an older card that can't be upgraded with the latest firmware. So three years was all I could get before the software over ran the capabilities of the card. Given the fast moving world of codecs and pixel aspects and depths, it is conceivable that an FPGA card might not last any longer than two to three years. Is the Afterburner upgradable? Unfortunately my camera isn't but the Fairlight card is PCIe so yes it can be if required.

FPGAs are just processors and that world moves just as fast. Their capacity to be reprogrammed make them flexible for sure but not any more able to withstand development of processors and demands.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]