APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: The Cheese Grater is back

COW Forums : Lumaforge

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Stevan del George
Re: The Cheese Grater is back
on Jun 10, 2019 at 5:40:57 pm

AFAIK Renderman is still king at the "animation" houses that do CGI features - Pixar, Dreamworks, etc. But its use at VFX houses has been dwindling for years. As of last year, I believe it was still the primary renderer at ILM and MPC but all the other major VFX houses I know of use something else as their "primary" renderer. (Worth noting though that, IME, the big shops have a large collection of software that gets used here and there when it's useful, what I'm referring to is the primary software most often used and best integrated into their primary in-house pipelines.)

The other "context" to my orignal comments, that I didn't express well ... I was thinking of the artist market is this way ...
- Independent freelance artists who are completely stand-alone entities, deal with end clients directly, deliver final product directly to end clients, etc. For these artists Redshift and Octane are fantastic options.
- Artists who mostly work in large shops and occasionally work from home, also freelance at-home artists who regularly work in conjunction with large shops. For these artists staying current with "industry standard" software and renderers is very important. (I would also include in this group freelance at home artists whose current status is considered a stepping stone to getting a staff position at a large shop.)

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]