APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: The Cheese Grater is back

COW Forums : Lumaforge

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Shawn Miller
Re: The Cheese Grater is back
on Jun 10, 2019 at 1:14:40 am

[Stevan del George] "I'm happy that Redshift and Octane (primarily used in the motion gfx world) are supporting Metal. But I worry that the new Arnold GPU renderer will become the industry standard in the future for a couple of reasons ..."

I wouldn't be so sure. I agree with most of your points regarding the final quality of GPU renders, adoption by large VFX houses and all, but let's not forget Renderman XPU (using CUDA and Optix). ☺ It's already one of the most heavily used renderers in the industry, and it has a GPU/CPU workflow that gives artists fast previews while allowing for high quality output to CPU based render farms. I also think that Arnold will face more competition from Redshift (when and if) all of those Solid Angle perpetual licenses expire. For those like me who are not 3DSMax or Maya users, the thought of maintaining an Autodesk subscription for Arnold seems unattractive.

But getting back to the subject of the thread, I plan to keep a close eye on the performance of the new Mac pro. If Redshift using Metal is a LOT faster than Redshift using CUDA, then I'll have to give Apple serious consideration when looking at my next hardware refresh in three or four years. If OTOH, Arnold is still (mostly) CPU bound and I can still keep my perpetual license current via maintenance, then a Windows based PC will still be the stronger option.

Shawn

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]