APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: The Cheese Grater is back

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Shane Ross
Re: The Cheese Grater is back
on Jun 6, 2019 at 6:33:50 pm

[greg janza] "Camera owners have a significantly higher day rate to cover the high cost of their equipment. But most freelance editors don't have the option to charge a premium for their computer equipment on top of their daily rate."

Wrong. SO WRONG. Computers, hard drives, editing software. That isn't cheap either. THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS of investment. If you aren't adding that equipment rental to your fee...that's on you. ANYONE who doesn't do that, is doing a disservice to not only themselves, but to others. And setting client expectations COMPLETELY wrong. How on earth can you invest thousands of dollars into equipment...and then the upkeep of that equipment...and then updating of that equipment...without charging a fee? Why do camera ops get to do this, but not editors? I don't get your logic at all.

Part of the price of food in a store, is the cost of not only the food in the store, but the workers, the electricity, the rent on the land or building (or mortgage and property taxes)...the equipment used to track the sales of that food. ALL of it. That's built into the cost. YOUR equipment should also be built into the cost of your doing business.

My kid's girl scout troop did a project...track the cost of one type of food, in this case, an apple, across several types of stores and locations. Corner market in Los Angeles, large grocery store in Los Angeles. Same types of businesses, but then in Idaho, Ohio, Tennessee, Alabama and New York...rural and urban areas. Track the cost difference. The apple costs significantly higher in larger cities, opposed to the rural areas, in the same state. And differed from state to state. Reasons? Rent, electricity, wages....lots of factors.

If you are an editor with a laptop and a hard drive...you charge a kit fee. Smaller than someone who uses a tower, two monitors, a RAID and a broadcast monitor...but you charge a fee. Where I might charge $500/week for my setup, you might charge $50/week for yours. BUT YOU CHARGE. Overhead...someone working out of their garage (me) would charge less than a colorist occupying a lush bay in a big building. Where they charge $350/hour, I charge $125/hour. Less overhead. But that is the fee for me, and my system....on a daily rate. Weekly is cheaper, due to longer term employment/rental. Just like renting a house on a monthly basis is cheaper than a hotel room...when calculated over a month.

MY GOD...are there that many people NOT charging for their equipment out there? Is this why many clients seem shocked when I add that cost to a bid for services? to my estimated costs?

It's bad enough that projects have money for the camera people, and their equipment, but then seem to have zero left (or very little) when it comes to post...so ask for a HUGE discount on our end. But to then not charge for the equipment? You get an F on this business school test.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]