APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: The Cheese Grater is back

COW Forums : Lumaforge

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Brett Sherman
Re: The Cheese Grater is back
on Jun 6, 2019 at 12:31:07 pm
Last Edited By Brett Sherman on Jun 6, 2019 at 12:33:21 pm

[Ronny Courtens] "So, before assuming that no-one will buy this MacPro just because you don't need it, it would be best to realize that there is a very vast world outside everyone's little neck of the woods."

Of course. I'm glad the high-end shops have a Mac for them. I don't think it's assuming too much that this won't be a huge commercial success. But I don't think Apple necessarily intended it to be such. They clearly wanted to meet the needs of high-end facilities where cost is not much of an issue. I think it removes hardware as a barrier to using Apple. However, there are still barriers that remain for many of these potential customers - most notably the Nvidia/Apple conflict. That will undoubtedly dampen sales of such a high-end machine.

Now for us in the mid-level. It's hard to see how I justify a purchase of this machine. The base configuration simply doesn't cut it for me - 256GB? You have to be joking. No fool would ever buy a machine with a 256GB system drive as it would lead to continual problems. Unless there's a sweet spot for less than $8000, I don't see it's realistic for me. And I'm not convinced at that price point it will be faster than an iMac option.

The only hope would be if there is a Mac Pro junior at some point. 1 double PCIe slot, 1 regular PCIe (for afterburner), 2 m.2 NVMe slots, 6 DIMM slots, 400 watt PSU, 10GB Ethernet is all I would need. I sort of doubt it, but a person can have a dream.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]