APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: The Cheese Grater is back

COW Forums : Lumaforge

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Shawn Miller
Re: The Cheese Grater is back
on Jun 5, 2019 at 6:34:30 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "[Shawn Miller] "However, I do wonder how many people will be willing to pay double to run C4D, Redshift or Octane on a Mac Pro instead of an Nvidia based workstation. ☺"

I am trying to figure this out. Are you suggesting a similar 28 core Windows workstation with 4 top spec NVIDIA GPUs, a similar computer monitor, and all the SSDs and RAM is going to be half the cost? That's truly crazy if it's true. "No one" will buy this Mac Pro, if you need all that power. It just doesn't make sense."

Nope, I'm not suggesting anything of the sort. To get near or equal performance out of a GPU bound raytracer like Redshift or Octane, you don't need a machine as highly spec'd as the new Mac pro. I run Redshift, Octane and Arnold on three machines; one with dual 20 core Xeons, one with dual 8 core Xeons and one with a single 4 core Xeon. The two dual proc machines have identical graphics cards, so Octane, Redshift and Arnold GPU (beta) perform more or less the same, even though one has more CPU cores and faster SSDs. The single core machine has an Nvidia M3000M so runs the same applications slower. I guess we'll have to see how these renderes run Metal vs Cuda, but for around $3k US, you can build or buy a very fast workstation for GPU rendering. If you're doing CPU bound rendering, you'll still have to pay a premium for high core count Xeon processors, but on Windows and Linux you can at least get dual processors.

Shawn

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]