APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Thanks Apple!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Thanks Apple!
on May 15, 2019 at 3:23:57 am

[Shane Ross] "Even when it wasn't subscription, we didn't own it, we purchased the right to use it. "

Yeah, Shane, but that view is splitting hairs to me.
When I paid for X, they allowed me to install and archive a fully functioning program that I could then use essentially in perpetuity.

When you’re stuck in the rental model, if you don’t keep paying, they have the right to cut you off from the enabling technology that gives you access to your OWN intellectual property — unless you start paying them again.

That’s a VERY different kettle of fish to my thinking.

The reason for Adobe’s change might be totally legit IP and licensing issues.

But the EFFECT of making all the legacy “permanent license” software basically illegal to use going forward - is that anyone with a library of Adobe work done at anytime in the past - is being forced to update into their “pay to play” ecosystem or they lose full access to their own historical IP work going forward.

And that’s just not how the Apple or Black Magic ecosystems operate.

Different business models. One that ensures (as much as possible) customer access to their creative work in perpetuity without any additional cost - and one that definitely does not.

Ergo, my extra smidgen of happiness tonight!

Which you haven’t diminished it one iota, my friend!

Have a great week!

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]