APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Is It Time To Reconsider Final Cut Pro X?

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mark Suszko
Re: Is It Time To Reconsider Final Cut Pro X?
on May 6, 2019 at 9:34:35 pm

Back in the before-time, when God was just an intern and puppies were the oldest animal, I was messaged that the IT supervisor had a problem and could I come see him... I had to justify my "intensive" use of the network's resources. This was when most of the people in the system not running COBOL on punch-card-driven mainframes were running Wangnet on 486 processor PC's - many of them didn't even run sound cards then, because, why would you need sound to do word processing and spreadsheets? I was at that time, rendering out Lightwave animations with an early Crystal TOPAS TARGA board. Which the IT guy was unaware of. How was it that I needed SO MUCH storage, and so much data capacity?

So I dump a stack of 60 floppies on the IT guy's desk. I pick one up and say:

"...this will -just barely - hold thirty frames of my animation - one SECOND of DV video, at broadcast quality. This is what -one minute- of video looks like (pointing to stack of 60 floppies). We make programs from thirty seconds to an hour long. That's our work product. And there are four more guys like me, making this stuff, five days a week. You may want to figure this into your archive system design needs."

"Oh."

Later, when we started seeking real NLE systems in earnest, they couldn't understand why a commodity Lenovo like everybody else gets, wasn't good enough, and besides the then- exotic CD drive, why I would need an additional DVD drive in it - did I plan to slack off work all day, watching movies?

"No... making them. ...That's why I need a DVD burner/reader: for QC checks and production."

"Oh."

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]