APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Resolve 16 vs FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ronny Courtens
Re: Resolve 16 vs FCPX
on Apr 13, 2019 at 11:58:39 pm

As an NLE, Resolve is now getting on par with the three other major editing platforms. Just like with the others, this has required BM pushing out a whole boatload of fast updates in the first years. And just like with the others, this update cadence will slow down once the software gets more complete. Although it looks promising, I'm not really sure if Resolve as an NLE will cause a huge shift in the market. For three reasons:

1. This is not a one-solution-fits-all market anymore. Today, people tend to use multiple tools at the same time or multiple NLEs within the same company. And this seems to work out well for everyone.

2. Hardcore professionals and enterprises seem to stick with their choice(s) for a long time unless the company that creates their tools screws up. This has happened with Avid who got much too greedy during the transition to HD, causing them to lose a fair amount of users to Final Cut. Then it happened to Apple who got much too cocky with the launch of FCP X, causing them to lose a fair amount of users to Premiere Pro. And now it also seems to be happening to Adobe (just visit the Premiere Pro forums) and here's where I see Resolve taking its share of the market in the short term.

But, eventually, every developer recovers from its mistakes. Avid has evolved and still holds strong in film and television. FCP X has evolved and has become the most widely used NLE in our market. And I am expecting a major overhaul of Premiere Pro in the not-so-distant future. So I don't doubt that Resolve will eventually get its fair share of the market, just like the others. But I don't see any major landslides or worldwide ship-jumping happening. People who constantly jump ships tend to fall into the water anyway (-:

- Ronny

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]