APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Is Final Cut Pro X For Hollywood? Old question, interesting answer

COW Forums : Lumaforge

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim Wilson
Re: Is Final Cut Pro X For Hollywood? Old question, interesting answer
on Mar 12, 2019 at 2:16:07 am

[Michael Gissing] "The inertia and loyalty to Mac hardware is a bit perplexing to me especially as the trashcan was not a good solution."

I don't know that there's any loyalty to Mac hardware per se, in the sense that people pushed back on it pretty hard. A lot of people kept much older boxes instead...which is loyaltly, but the exact opposite of inertia. They're moving in exactly the opposite direction Apple wants them to, or are buying third party add-ons (say, Sonnet or BMD's eGPUs) to muscle up solutions from Apple that aren't cutting it for them.

The Hackintosh phenomenon was overstated I think, although there are folks here using 'em, for the exact reason that Apple's hardware isn't as compelling as off-the-shelf combinations you can put together yourself if you're inclined. Why bother? Because the software is more compelling. It allows Apple to shoot itself and its customers in the foot (or the head, or somewhere exactly in between) again and again and again. The software is more compelling to them.

Apple's adamant commitment to second-class (or worse) hardware was indeed exasperating to me, but what ultimately flipped me out of the ecosystem is what keeps other people just as firmly entrenched: the combination of hardware and software. I stopped finding it compelling or even vaguely worth the money, effort, or tradeoffs to live with old, underpowered tech when compared with the alternatives...but other people look at the alternatives and find exactly the opposite, that nothing out there is compelling as the Apple.

The only aspect of inertia comes from not looking, which I don't think there's as much of in this particular forum as some others. Nothing wrong with preferring what you prefer....which I know you agree with, of course, and am not arguing with you here, except to soften "inertia" a bit. But it heartens me to see people looking around and finding that it's easier to leave than you think, and certainly easier than Apple would have you believe.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]