APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

All the little things that I miss in Fcpx - that become a big deal

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mauricio Lleras
All the little things that I miss in Fcpx - that become a big deal
on Feb 5, 2019 at 9:31:18 pm

Long time reader here.
Noticed this forum has been getting quiet lately
so I thought I'd stir it up a little
in hope of some great discussion as always
and also maybe finding out if some of the things I miss in Fcpx have been addressed
in the latest versions which I haven't had the chance to use.

So here is my list of things that bug me about Fcpx:

- first and foremost, trimming. It should really get some love, after all, it is an editing software we're talking about!
So: - when will we be able to select and trim multiple edit points simultaneously?
- and thus be able to do assymetrical trimming?
- when will we get a two up display when trimming with the keyboard?
- more consistency when selecting edit points with the keyboard, I find the app sometimes will simply refuse to select an edit point,
forcing the use of the mouse

- In and Out points at the timeline (not storyline) level : please? It would be so good to be able to cut whole sections
of an edit by simply marking In and Out as in every other software...

- Redo and Undo for any marking action, as in Mark In, Out, Mark Clip, clear Marks...Seems like such a basic feature........Any time I mark or unmark something
I am accomplishing an action, so please let me undo it or redo it if I need to!

- searching for markers: (really hope this has been fixed) when you log a long interview for instance, putting a whole lot of markers
for comments, you'd think that performing a search for an element contained in any one marker would bring the playhead
to that marker, thus actually helping you to find said marker. Instead the search only brings up the clip, with the playhead parked at the beginning,
and you're left with a whole list of markers to read through in order to find the one you're searching for, thus defeating the purpose of the search engine....

- finding the playhead in filmstrip mode can be a nightmare. When you matchframe to an event full of clips
it sometimes is nearly impossible to tell which clip you've matchframed to and where the playhead sits...

- and about matchframing, I believe if you have a dual system audio synced clip you can match back to the synced clip
but then there is no way to match back to the image or audio only original clips, which is sometimes necessary. Has this changed?

- disclosure triangles in list mode: do they still keep closing everytime you go into a different event?
Having to open them each time can be pretty unnerving, the app should remember the state you left them in.

- dupe detection, also such a basic feature...

- commit (or finalize) multicam clips, also basic...

- option to open compound clips in the timeline they're at when double clicking them (it would be so much easier than going inside them, away from your edit...)

- synced clips and compound clips should inherit all metadata from the clips they contain: especially useful when working with double system audio,
as scene and take info are usually embedded in audio files, it seems like a no brainer that once you sync up your clips the new synced clips should inherit this scene/take info, making it then very easy to rename them. Instead you get nothing, and you have to populate manually all those fields before renaming. Why? When everything is already there?

- option to create sync clips from the timeline (is it possible? I think not but maybe I'm overseeing something?)

- fix the annoying bug that makes the playhead jump all over the place sometimes when color correcting,
it makes it nearly impossible to work.

- option to easily relink proxies.
- and more options for proxy sizes (rasters and data getting bigger and bigger, it would be nice to have more options,
as currently proxies can still be quite heavy...)

- ensure the timeline playhead moves smoothly always, as in not skipping places, as well as timecode displaying every frame count
and not skipping (this lagging might seem a small thing but I find pretty unnerving too...)

That's more or less it. Mind you, most of these are small things that could be taken care off easily
- almost looks like some of the feature lists Resolve point updates get-
I'm not wishing for whizzbang features like tracking in all effects, or extremely powerful noise reduction (both for image or sound)
or any of those heavier things.
Just a ton of small features that would make the experience SO MUCH better.
I love FcpX and want to use it as much as possible,
but invariably I find myself also pissed at it when all of these little things start to compound and get in the way
of what is otherwise a really good experience.

The thing is the app is already in it's eight year of development,
so my hopes that any of those things will ever get addressed is really starting to fade...

Love to hear your thoughts, especially if you know if any of those things have changed.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]