APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Ain’t your grandpas TV Production studio any more, I suppose.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Kimery
Re: Ain’t your grandpas TV Production studio any more, I suppose.
on Jan 10, 2019 at 5:12:06 pm

[Bill Davis] "These young producers are creating content nearly exclusively for a relatively newly viable non-broadcast market. The gold standard for them is clearly NOT AC Neilson ratings, but "likes" and subscribes — and so that's where they concentrate. They know the new game. And it's NOT the same as the old game."

I beneath the surface I think the new game is very much like the old game. For example, ad revenue pays the bills for YouTubers with channel subscriptions, likes, and views being peddled as no-middle-man-needed Neilsen replacement. But channel subscriptions, likes and views are easily (and commonly) artificially inflated by click farms, and there's not any objective, agreed upon guidelines for what constitutes a 'view' so online video platforms are all free to cook their numbers however they want. For example, if you scroll past a video in your social media feed or on a website and it auto-plays for a quarter second that could count as a view.

I feel like once a year in tech media there is a 'bombshell' article about how the self-reported numbers from video platforms are wildly inflated (shocker). Advertisers certainly don't want to buy ad time based on fake and/or unverifiable traffic, which is one reason why ad rates for the web are so low. So what's the solution? Maybe an independent third party that can apply a standardized set of metrics across all video platforms and make those numbers publicly available? Basically Neilsen TV ratings but for the Internet.

This, of course, doesn't even get into things like sponsorships, merch sales, affiliate links, Patreon, etc., As much as things can feel new and crazy and wild in the beginning, once the dust starts to settle the new boss starts to look an awful lot like the old boss.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]