APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Ain’t your grandpas TV Production studio any more, I suppose.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: Ain’t your grandpas TV Production studio any more, I suppose.
on Jan 9, 2019 at 12:45:43 am

Let's not get carried away. The "facility" described represents a pretty huge investment in capital. Note that he also mentions shooting with Alexas. So hardly DIY. And frankly that's been the norm for quite a few years. There really hasn't been the need for too much engineering handholding, unless you invested in a full-blown Avid system (storage, Media Central, etc) or similar.

As far as displays - NO COMPUTER DISPLAY IS VALID FOR GRADING - if you expect reliable and consistent results. In fact, the newest screens on the iMac Pros are far less accurate than previous Apple-branded models. They are too bright, too contrasty, and too saturated. Pretty - yes. Accurate - hardly. And in general, no two computer displays - even of the same vintage - match each other with consistency.

However, if you want a cheap way to grade - especially for FCPX - buy a high-quality consumer display and connect it via HDMI. FCPX pumps out a/v to it. That will give you more reliable results than the computer display ever will. Of course, use scopes, such as the built-in FCPX scopes. I would also go further and recommend using video limiting and audio limiting, too. This will give you the best results across a wide range of media devices.

I will admit, though, that iPads and smart phones have become the defacto lowest common denominator on which to check your video, much like Auratone cube speakers have historically been used in audio and recording studios. So load your file to FrameIO or Vimeo and check it on one of these devices and you'll probably see what most of your clients will watch. At least for review-and-approval. Sad but true.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]