APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Adobe pro video apps now support ProRes on Windows

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: Adobe pro video apps now support ProRes on Windows
on Dec 12, 2018 at 5:55:43 pm

[Brooks Tomlinson] "I currently am a flame Op, so I am stuck on mac, because linux is well... linux.... I would be a happy person if flame came to windows. "

From your lips to Montreal's ears.

[Brooks Tomlinson] "Walter, how do you feel about Apple droping Cinform?"

I think Apple was right to drop the 32-bit QuickTime library. It's long past time. What I would have liked to have seen was third-party codec support in AVFoundation, like we used to have in QuickTime via components, so a user could install a system-wide CineForm plugin and have all video applications be able to understand CineForm MOVs.

I liked having video decode available at the system level. I think it's a major step backwards that each application must now feature its own direct support for different video formats.

1) Incompatibility has resurfaced. Some apps will simply never support some formats because the developers can't or won't address them. It's like the platform wars of the 1980s and 1990s all over again.

2) It's a big waste of development resources. Each developer has to write their own support, and that takes time away from their core application development.

3) Having so many different implementations is a potential minefield of subtle differences. I understand that Apple is pretty strict about their ProRes implementations (which is good), but I know correctly managing DHxHD and DNxHR data/video levels and color shifts are a constant headache across applications.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]