APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Future MacOS/FCPX won't support DNxHD/HR or CineForm among other codecs

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Future MacOS/FCPX won't support DNxHD/HR or CineForm among other codecs
on Nov 24, 2018 at 7:23:27 pm

[Michael Gissing] "I'm curious Bill what you are going to do then. Will you go through all your projects over the past 6 years, find all footage that is in codecs that will not be supported, open them and replace all those shots with transcoded files in Apple friendly future codecs?

You might be lucky and only have some drone or GoPro footage but seriously are you going to transcode all that and replace those shots so your old FCPX projects will open in the future?"

I seriously doubt I'll ever have to.

Having already been through BetaSP, Mini-DV, Digital 8, and DVCAM, eras from early in my career I know I've hardly EVER needed to look back very far. A few years pass, and anything I've shot is typically passe. Business uniforms and store decor changes - policies evolve - and the old footage becomes pretty useless. It's probably different in narrative, but for modern informational videos , topics and focuses shift so fast, that any video is lucky if it has a few years of shelf life.

That GoPro, DSLR, or other non-ProRes footage will have been transcoded long since, and archived in my X Library backups. And yes, some of my Camera Archives from oddball formats (not ProRes originated) may become obsolete in a decade or two - but it's just like those Mini-DV tapes. THEY are now mostly obsolete too. IT's a major hassle to go back and recover content from them. But not impossible. I expect after this change, the same thing will be true. That's all.

Heck, even the IRS only requires you keep financial records for 7 years.

And as of today, I already have 7 years of FCP X accessible Archives and Libraries that I can access and re-edit so easily that I just have no fear of content obsolescence any more. I'm feeling pretty good about things going forward.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]