APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Mac Mini with eGPU

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Mac Mini with eGPU
on Nov 5, 2018 at 6:41:45 pm

[Oliver Peters] "But by working with proxies, you have added MORE friction, not less."

It's never felt that way to me, Oliver.

Proxy/Original switching has been astonishingly frictionless for me since FCP X 1.0.

And en/transcoding has constantly sped up over the past 6 years as well. So I barely think about it.
As you well know, field shoots are draining. If you shoot a typical day, you seldom get on an airplane THAT evening. You crash and re-charge before flying out the next day. Hotel room proxy generation is a sleep and forget deal mostly, IME.

Plus, just like DSLRs shoot RAW and JPEG at the same time. I can see an evolution on the close horizon where a video capture device will record RAW and Proxy at the same time and shooters leave the set with either/or/both. Maybe Atomos will follow up their ProRes RAW play with something like that by NAB? Who knows. I still think the deployment of RAW of one form or another is waiting for the monitor makers to create something affordable where we can SEE the REC2020 signal reliably. Then all bets are maybe off.

Time will tell.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]