APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: New Blackmagic eGPU

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: New Blackmagic eGPU
on Nov 3, 2018 at 10:29:32 pm

[Winston A. Cely] "But isn't this a common practice in some high-end facilities? Upgrading hardware and computers on some sort of x-year schedule?"

I'm with the rest here. Most facilities try to get a lot out of their gear for as long as possible. Up until the past few years, people had been running on Avid Media Composer, Vegas, Edius, or Final Cut Pro "legacy". Those software products seemed to be less dependent on hardware changes, except for I/O. And then that was largely only for the jump from SD to HD. You could run gear longer without a refresh.

More recent software, like FCPX, newer versions of Premiere Pro CC, etc., has become more tied to hardware changes especially on the Mac platform. That's mainly because of the need to tie in more closely with the OS, because of how it integrates with the hardware. So if you were running mainly Avid MC, you could still be quite comfortable on older machines with Apple or PC hardware.

OTOH, some of us are running trash can Macs, which are old, too, by this same standard ☺

[Mark Smith] "I was just going to ask How many people are still using the old mac cheese graters."

The real question is how many are running cheese graters with their original hardware ☺ If you have a Mac Pro that's mid-2009 or newer, then you can still get up to High Sierra. A lot of us have upgraded internal drives to SSDs, upgraded GPUs, upped the RAM and so on. These changes are simple plug-and-play. The more adventurous have even upgraded the Xeons. All of this is possible in these "ancient" machines and gets them pretty close to modern performance. For most editing tasks - especially Media Composer - you still have a current, viable machine.

But the question is, if you tally the cost of all of those upgrades plus your time, have you really saved that much money?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]