APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Mac Mini with eGPU

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Gissing
Re: Mac Mini with eGPU
on Nov 2, 2018 at 1:45:24 am
Last Edited By Michael Gissing on Nov 2, 2018 at 1:50:52 am

[Bill Davis]"I think that analysts missed the point. The key process is removing FRICTION from a needed workflow."

Actually I think that was the point. To participate in the cloud system requires additional friction at the beginning for which a pay off is elusive when it comes to editing. Everything this article touts is already available but only used by VFX and collaborative workflows. For most editors it doesn't have practical application and reducing the speed to reduce the cost might open up the field to broader applications. But the initial friction has to be reduced as well. Getting your hi res assets into the cloud is still full of serious friction. This doesn't address that especially as 8k + assets will be the new normal.

I'm with Oliver, it's more promise than delivery for many film making applications. Cloud storage and processing has been touted for a while now and I do agree that it will be a thing long before viable nuclear fusion but I don't share your enthusiasm or analysis of what this improvement to parallel processing means for editing.

EDIT: I should add that clearly companies like Blackmagic agree with my view otherwise making outboard grunt for under powered Apple gear would not be worth their while. They are very canny in choosing what hardware developments to pursue and they will sell a lot of these boxes.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]