APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Mac Mini with eGPU

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Gissing
Re: Mac Mini with eGPU
on Nov 1, 2018 at 11:32:03 pm

[Bill Davis]"Read this and tell me that the way we edit right might not be changing in the not too distant future."

The article talks about shared server processing by slicing video files into small chunks and processing for "less than $1" in reference to 30 seconds worth of sheer grunt AI driven processing. Well editing doesn't require anything like the need for such processing. VFX rendering maybe or complete animation but the article is mostly about image analysis and content ID, again not really about creative editing.

But even if it was, here's what I see are fundamental problems. You still need a computer, albeit under powered with minimal GPU and storage. You need a high speed reliable internet connection. It's a subscription model that, if it costs roughly $1 per minute to use, will cost as much per 40 hour week as buying a hefty GPU and 8TB of storage.

If you are talking about not editing at all but asking AI to do the job very quickly then yes this sort of cloud based system might totally replace an editor. So you won't have a job or need a computer under your desk. What also is never talked about is getting you hi res files up in the cloud from camera. It will need to be as fast as local backup, as secure and as cheap. I see all that as possible. Not entirely desirable except for remote collaborative workflows.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]