APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Mac Mini with eGPU

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Mac Mini with eGPU
on Nov 1, 2018 at 9:01:05 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Does a new Mac Mini (optioned out with all the bells & whistles) - plus one of the BMD eGPU and TB storage - become a good FCPX option in the opinion of this group?"

I'm guessing in the next 5 years - what we conceive of as an editing system is pretty much ALL going to change.

I saw a twitter link yesterday about some new technology coming out of my local San Diego State Computer Science Program that has kinda blown my mind.

http://jacobsschool.ucsd.edu/news/news_releases/release.sfe?id=2654

Read this and tell me that the way we edit right might not be changing in the not too distant future.

If, as the article implies, anyone with a fast connection can upload entire edits into a cloud array, have that array virtually instantly express all sorts of AI manipulations against the footage - DIRT CHEAPLY. and then relay the new material down to the end user - might the type of "all in a box" computer systems we mostly rely upon today end up looking a bit like Model T Fords.

You just KNOW AI, Machine Learning and Cloud Computing is in the infant stages of targeting lots of aspects of the digital streams we all create.

Sure, a brain expressing artistic intent against the material will always be necessary, but what's the purpose of a HONKING box sucking down power under your desk for 20 minutes to do the exact same job that a massively parallel cloud service can distribute out and do in SECONDS - and for Pennies?

The eGPU external box is a product solution right now, but it's also, in my mind a SIGN. It's a wake up that we may be moving away from a monolithic box, to more distributed processing.

Say these GPU boxes scale so that they're the price of hard drives today - will we eventually have as many GPUs under our desks as we have hard drives? All connected to a fat internet pipe loop into the cloud for a circuit to do the REALLY tough stuff?

In that scenario - a MacMini peripherals hub or Laptop might become everything an editor would really need.

We'll see.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]