APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: New Blackmagic eGPU

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bob Zelin
Re: New Blackmagic eGPU
on Nov 1, 2018 at 4:53:28 pm

Hi Steve -
I would like to address your comment. I will try to be as civil as possible.
I do not like Apple's new philosophy of "Apple only - you don't need anything else" - be it from a hardware purchase or labor purchase (service, support, etc.).

I have been using Apple products since the early days of AVID. I installed THIRD PARTY Digital Voodoo 64 AV cards in a Mac computer long before Blackmagic and AJA ever existed. And when the THIRD PARTY AJA I/O Box came out that was for use with Mac computers, that changed everything. All of a sudden, the Mac was a powerhouse for professional editing. And of course, AJA, Matrox, Blackmagic, MOTU and others took off, and created an industry.
All of a sudden, linear was totally out, and Mac based edit systems like AVID and FCP took over everything. And it was great. And it was all Apple based.

And other companies emerged - Other World Computing, Sonnet, Promise, Cal Digit, and countless others - all basing their product line on Apple products. And it was great.

And then something happened. Apple decided that they didn't like all this third party hardware. They wanted to keep all the money for themselves. They did like not third party repairs, or third party expansion. Everything became closed products in a very short period of time. Soon, you could not upgrade anything. And you could not repair anything. And soon (10.13.3) - Apple didn't even want third party products that would plug into thunderbolt ports to work, making it very difficult to install drivers for third party products (without going into recovery mode to disable System Integrity Protection). And now - most recently - Apple wants their "partner companies" like Blackmagic to sell things like their eGPU boxes directly thru the Apple store, and not thru the free market, like Amazon, B&H Photo, Span, Newegg, and value added resellers.

WELL - I don't like this. And I think that people who embrace the ENTIRE video industry, and the DIVERSITY of wonderful companies that have existed since the beginning of time in the video industry, want to keep this diversity. And when they see a threat to that diversity - and see a central company trying to create a monopoly, that if you want to exist using Apple products - you will hand over your money directly to them, and not be allowed to go anywhere else. Well - I don't like this. And that's where my "bad attitude" comes from. I don't like the fact that companies like Western Digital and Seagate have become the ONLY place to go if you want storage. I don't like the fact that companies like Spectrum and AT&T are buying up all the competition so there is no other place to go. I don't like monopolies - I like diversity. That's what our industry has always been (audio, video, graphics, production, post production, etc.).

Some people (I won't use the term) don't have a problem with this. I should be allowed to disagree with them, without being "shut down".

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]