APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X hits 3.5 Million users?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Neil Goodman
Re: FCP X hits 3.5 Million users?
on Sep 18, 2018 at 2:01:54 am

[Oliver Peters] " I guess the thought is to focus on tools they'll likely encounter in the professional film, TV and media world."

It trips me out that teachers teach anything but Avid and Premiere for the same reason.

Lets be honest - at 20 years old - no one aspiring to be an editor says I want to make corporate video or wedding videos or even trailers for that matter .They all want to cut feature films. In my day TV was looked waaaayyyy down upon to the point the teachers wouldn't encourage that, its a good starting point. It was films or nothing.

Since films are mostly cut on Avid (and a little on premiere i guess) why on earth would you intro FCPX into the curriculum ? It would put your students at a huge disadvantage in the current day to be thrust into a market only knowing a tool no ones using. Sure you will still learn story but your not going to get a job as a editor right out of school. Your going straight to the vault or the AE room where story doesn't matter -you got to know the programs there using inside and out.

With that said - today is very different than when I went to film school even in 2004 , but Id have to imagine - except for TV now being just as legitimate as film in certain situations - kids still dream about being at the top. Knowing FCPX as well as Bill Davis unfortunately isn't going to get you there in the current climate.

It a great tool and I suggest everyone learns it to have in the back pocket - but to make a viable career off it in the major markets, is still but a pipe dream.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]