APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: iMac Pro thoughts

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bob Zelin
Re: iMac Pro thoughts
on Jun 20, 2018 at 5:08:31 pm

well, before we start blaming the iMac Pro, let's start out by saying that with the exception of the new thunderbolt 3 Sonnet peripherals (Solo 10G, eGFX external GPU box with Vega 64) - all the third party peripherals (that you can clearly see in /Library/Extensions) will no longer install, unless you disable System Integrity Protection if you are running macOS 10.13.3 or higher. This includes SoftRAID, and everything else you see in Library/Extensions, including ARC (Areca), Promise, Sonnet, Cal Digit, and everything else that requires a third party driver. In the past, you used to install the driver, it would fail, you would click on System Preferences> Security and Privacy> General, and see that the driver install was blocked. You would click on the lock to unlock, click ALLOW, and you could now install the driver. No longer. Now you have to go into Apple Recovery Mode (command R when you are booting up) and open terminal and disable System Integrity Protection by typing in
csrutil disable
and reboot the Mac. Now you can install whatever you want. Like I said, this does not apply to NEW thunderbolt 3 peripherals, like the Sonnet Solo 10G, which just plug in and work.
And of course, you can just buy an iMac Pro, that already has the Vega 64 card and the 10G port.

SEE - if you stop thinking, and just give Apple the money, and run only Apple Apps, then you won't have any of these problems anymore ! ☺

This of course, is the reason I have no hope for the possible release of a 2019 Mac Pro. With the current mindset of Apple, and the current "reason" many even want a Mac Pro - what on earth makes you think that you will go out and get a "new Mac Pro" and install any NVidia GPU card, any RAM, any CPU, any 10G card that you want ? YOU will not get to choose. It will be an APPLE HARDWARE PARTNER. So much for Mr. I Can Hot Rod This Myself So Much Better. That's not going to happen (in my opinion) even if there is a new Mac Pro in 2019.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]