APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: iMac Pro thoughts

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Gabriel Spaulding
Re: iMac Pro thoughts
on Jun 18, 2018 at 7:38:36 pm

I posted a few times (above) comparing my 10-core iMac Pro to my late 2013 iMac. Since then, however, my 10-core iMac Pro had significant hardware issues Apple was unable to fix, then I upgraded to an 18-core iMac Pro that had the exact same problems. I returned that and now have a maxed out 5k iMac, and in nearly every case it is outperforming the 18-core iMac Pro. Multicam editing is smoother, playback is smoother, Motion render times are more or less identical, and while both iMac Pros would spontaneously shut down multiple times a day the 5k iMac has never done this.

In fact, before I returned the 18-core machine I compared it to my late 2013 iMac: the 18-core with directly attached OWC Thunderbay 4 drives was MUCH slower at playback and export than the late 2013 iMac accessing media on the same drive... over a network. Working with those iMac Pros for a good 6 months (when they weren't in for repair), and having compared them to two different iMacs, I have to say that I do not see any benefit to the iMac Pro over a modern 5k iMac, at least using the Pro Apps —unless you are working with 8k footage or 360 video, that's where that machine will shine.

Gabriel Spaulding
Creator & Director of ACE Enterprizes
Cinematographer | Editor | Motion Designer

How Can We Help You Tell Your Story?
http://www.aceenterprizes.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]