APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Towards a better NLE

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Towards a better NLE
on May 22, 2018 at 4:10:08 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on May 22, 2018 at 6:51:59 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "I know by now that there's no chance of convincing you over the internet of the many virtues of string-outs and pancakes and so on, but I suspect if we spent half an hour in a room together that might change just a little."

It's the way I used to work in FCP7, and how I work in Pr. I find the way I work in FCPX to be much better. I leave the sequencing for my sequence. It is very easy to store "versions" of an edit, or other options of an edit in one Project.

I don't find pancaking or string outs to be as intimate of a connection with the footage as skimming, favorites, keywords, and smart collections. Again, this may have to do with the type of jobs I typically edit, and of course, how my brain seems to work.

I find the FCPX timeline to be a very good scratch pad to hash out visual ideas. Perhaps you use string outs in the same way. I don't really know what you mean by 'Browser only' editing. I don't edit from the Browser. I make selections in the Browser for further editing, something that a bin structure does not provide, at least not as sortable as FCPX allows. If you want to work from sequenced clips, FCPX has ways to work that are pretty decent.

[Simon Ubsdell] "In fact, over the years I have discovered the opposite to be true - it's much easier for material to get overlooked when it only ever lives in the browser ...
"

I find I have much better access to all of the footage in FCPX than any other current system I have used. With one click, I can supersede all collections, all organization, all notes, all keywords, all sequences, and simply browse all the footage, and then I skim and play it. Every single piece of media that is located in an Event, or even in the whole library, is viewable. There is no way for footage to simply get lost in some series of subedits on a selects reel. It's all right there in front of you in as big or as small as a selection as you'd like, going from Library level, right down to a specific keyword, note, or favorite. It is what I find most useful. With selects reels, it can be hard to dig out the shot that you want.

[Simon Ubsdell] "However, just on a really basic, practical level, you surely must run into situations where your client asks for a version that's a little bit of one other version, a slice of another and a chunk or two of a couple of additional versions."

Of course, copying and pasting selections from other timelines is still possible in FCPX. I do it a lot, especially as I mentioned, during bigger campaigns. The nice thing about FCPX is that if there's shared assets between Projects, these are very easy to store, recall, and edit, in compound clips. I can then smart collect those at library level. It is very easy and convenient.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]