APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Towards a better NLE

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Towards a better NLE
on May 21, 2018 at 7:14:32 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "As far as editing between timelines, I am (kind of) glad it's not there."

That sounds to me like a pretty extreme position!!! Although I understand where you're coming from.

I know by now that there's no chance of convincing you over the internet of the many virtues of string-outs and pancakes and so on, but I suspect if we spent half an hour in a room together that might change just a little.

However, just on a really basic, practical level, you surely must run into situations where your client asks for a version that's a little bit of one other version, a slice of another and a chunk or two of a couple of additional versions.

And I'd be surprised if even without the client's input you didn't think in a similar way: "I came up with a really nice section in this version that would go really well in my latest version, etc., etc."

I find it hard to believe that any editor only ever works with clips directly from the browser. If they do, you'll have to excuse me because I'm going to have to pass on watching their work. I know beforehand (without wanting to sound unkind) that it will be rubbish.

For all that FCP X lets you access individual clips (or subclips or whatever we are choosing to call them today) very easily, and probably more easily than other NLEs, it really doesn't make it easy to work from sequenced clips. Both Media Composer and Premiere are better at this, albeit in different ways - and they're both still far from great at it!

[Jeremy Garchow] "Because of the hierarchy of bins, and because of subsequent clip duplication, it can get confusing and can also lead to "lost" takes or sections if the selects reel doesn't include all of the material, and at that point, you are hunting through bins anyway with no real connection back to the selects reel."

I don't recognise that scenario, to be honest. Any editing method requires a certain degree of discipline in order to keep on top of the material. The idea that selects reels (when executed properly) lead to "lost material" just doesn't ring true for me. In fact, over the years I have discovered the opposite to be true - it's much easier for material to get overlooked when it only ever lives in the browser ...

But overall I think we are agreed that we like a lot of things about FCP X but both feel that it could go a lot further and adopt a much bolder approach to many aspects of the process.

Cone on, Apple. Astonish us. You know you can do it!

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]