APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Towards a better NLE

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Towards a better NLE
on May 21, 2018 at 3:23:24 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "My beef with FCP X is different from most people's. I'm not complaining that they innovated too much, but rather that they innovated too little!"

I feel that. There does some like some opportunity that is not being explored. I also think that Apple moves very slow. They always have.

As far as editing between timelines, I am (kind of) glad it's not there. In FCP Legend, and subsequently Pr, the timeline selects reel is a result (as you mentioned that others mentioned) of limitations of the interface (Bin > Source > Record). At least I feel like it goes back to bins. Because of the hierarchy of bins, and because of subsequent clip duplication, it can get confusing and can also lead to "lost" takes or sections if the selects reel doesn't include all of the material, and at that point, you are hunting through bins anyway with no real connection back to the selects reel. I guess it depends on what types of programs are being worked on, but pancaking is not how I think, particularly. FCPX allows a very very nice interface for browsing lots of footage for unforeseen moments.

I do wish, however, for a tabbed timeline interface, as when you are working on a campaign with many many outputs, the web browser style that FCPX employs is not very good. I think a tabbed browser would help as well; or some sort of way to have multiple events open, or at least a way to stick my Projects smart collections so that I can easily navigate between footage and timelines without going to different Events (I have a method of keeping smart collections of the latest version of all the Projects in the campaign) . That being said, I do like FCPX's organizational capabilities, including the ability to collect across the entire library, no matter where or what Event the element is situated. This may not be exclusive to FCPX, but it is a good implementation that I find very useful.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]