APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Towards a better NLE

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Towards a better NLE
on May 20, 2018 at 7:20:18 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on May 20, 2018 at 7:29:56 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I would argue that FCPX does something to move the ideas forward."

You're quite right, I think, both in this and the rest of your comment.

My beef with FCP X is different from most people's. I'm not complaining that they innovated too much, but rather that they innovated too little!

There's no doubt that FCP X has given us some very useful concepts that have helped to move the dial, but I'd love to see something that's a lot more bold and that was a lot more in tune with the way that editors need to work.

In the case of editing between timelines, of course, FCP X is a major step backwards - it's a lot more cumbersome than any of the competition. I just don't think there was any thinking about this that went into the concept and personally I feel that's a really big failing. That's not to say that the competition performs significantly less poorly, of course, but for want of anything better I'll take the pancakes that Premiere and Resolve are offering as sustenance enough for now.

Where we stand right now, FCP X is getting long in the tooth - what was once bright and shiny and new is now the "new old".

It would be great to think that Apple were currently working on the next generation NLE, but I think the evidence suggests that the talent that gave us FCP X is no longer in the building.

Maybe someone else will take up the challenge - because it is still a challenge and there are some clear areas where clever thinking can offer something truly transformative.

But I take your point about the difficulty of bringing something really radical to the market - in many ways Apple have forever queered the pitch on that one!

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]