APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Towards a better NLE

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Towards a better NLE
on May 19, 2018 at 2:33:29 am

[Simon Ubsdell] "This new video by Alan Bell A.C.E. advances the case for some intriguing innovations:"

Visual grouping and markup metadata. Per user visual overlays. All interesting ideas.

From a practical standpoint, it seems like it would be really hard to implement visual markup and keep track of it, let alone have it look good, make sense, and actually help or add to the editing process. As soon as you bounce to another view, or change the size of text or thumbs or shuffle clips around, all of a sudden the software has to keep track of where the clips were in space, where it’s visual metadata is and is pointed to, and also reach out to any cloud based programs or PDFs or other documents to make sure the attachments are updated and in sync, and then all of that info would need to get described in a database for interchange.

I do think that his points pertain to the limits of a bin structure. I never really liked bins as they are too hierarchical. Clips in bins can be described and sorted in one place. If you need the clip to be in multiple bins, you have to physically duplicate the clip, and then any relationship to the first location is broken. FCPX does have ways to skirt this limitation. No, they aren’t visual, but FCPX tags and collections certainly allow a very quick grouping and drill down of visual assets based on metadata, as well as maintaining a bird’s eye (and very visual) view of all assets. This is something that bins rarely offer.

Per user metadata is interesting. I could see that being implemented fairly easily as long as the host app supports multiple users (of course we all know, FCPX does not).

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]