APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Towards a better NLE

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Towards a better NLE
on May 17, 2018 at 6:55:07 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "I can understand that this might not appeal to other editors but what's interesting is that he's looking at what NLEs could be from a different perspective."

Hummm - where have I heard of something similar?

Oh yes. Pretty much precisely what Mr. Ubillos did seven years ago?

Well, we all know how THAT initially went. 🤨

The funny thing, is that Mr. Bell has at least one fully realized option that MIGHT provide him a path somewhat closer to a few of the things he's apparently yearning for - yet he's apparently managed, like so many, to largely ignore it to date. And of course, it might be 100% frustration and 0% joy if he did.

As busy as he must be - the time to get to that moment when the X system "clicks" for any editor - has been said over and over again to be inversely proportional to the level of that editors prior NLE experience. And so much of X's strengths are the folding of typical AE tasks closer into the editorial process and the timeline itself - - and he'd have to both learn them (since they are so intertwined with the X experience) and then ignore much of them in order to get to the joys of magnetic assembly that might ease a significant tranch of his work.

For a while, I've been seriously thinking X's future lies squarely in the generation coming up - rather than the generation currently sitting in the "big shop" seats. There will be exceptions, of course, but it requires someone who understands the return available in exchange for that mental adaptation.

Purely because it represents so much required re-learning - and returns too little immediate reward for editors who want to just bolt incremental changes into their comfortable workflows.

Asking for a company to slap a "Browser like" array into an AVID-style interface might be smarter for them than trying to get a long time editor to re-think their editorial flow thinking. And maybe AVID will go there. Good luck to them on walking that balance beam. I wish them well.

After all, Agility is NOT an aspect prized by any "establishment" group.

They tend to prize dependability and comfort.

Time will tell.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]