APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Towards a better NLE

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: Towards a better NLE
on May 17, 2018 at 5:00:17 pm

This is a good summary, but, no offense, I feel like you are making a lot of presumptions about what you think he really wants.

[Joe Marler] "In this photo it looks like a crude mocked-up prototype of what FCPX provides today"

Well this is really just the paper equivalent of a filmstrip view. I'm not really sure that's at all what Bell is getting at.

[Joe Marler] "What he meant is he wants to selectively filter on clips containing his assistant's notes. FCPX has this right now in keyword collections and notes"

You can also do that in Media Composer using "custom sift", just not on a range basis. And different bins can have different views and different sorts/sifts. So, list view for dialogue clips in one bin and frame view for a graphics bin, etc.

[Joe Marler] "He made various remarks about visually organizing clips in Avid's "Frame View", which is like FCPX's filmstrip view shrunk to one frame per clip and without the skimmer. "

The difference is that Avid's frame view allows things that other NLEs don't, because thumbnail organization in all other NLEs is snapped to a grid. Not so in MC. There you can freely move around frames like in a lightroom layout and/or bump the more import clips up a bit in the row of clips.

[Joe Marler] "I think if Alan Bell was more familiar with FCPX he could make a more compelling and informed argument."

That could well be, although Bell works on PCs, so X becomes a non-starter. ☺

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]