APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Smarter and Faster

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Kimery
Re: Smarter and Faster
on May 4, 2018 at 4:08:10 pm

[Craig Seeman] "So you would blamed FCP legacy for its $1000 price point because Avid was tens of thousands of dollars or would you blame Media 100 because it was thousands compared to Avid's tens of thousands of dollars?

Or do you blame that digital video because it was significantly cheaper than 35mm film (or even 16mm film for news and indies)?"

I think the lower prices created more jobs and, apparently software only companies are still finding viable business models."

There's healthy competition and there's unhealthy competition and I think the current state of competition in the creative professional software space (and in software in general) is headed down the unhealthy road (which will be to the detriment of end users/consumers in the long run). There's a big difference between charging $1000 plus a few hundred every couple years for upgrades and charging $299 once, or nothing at all, and leveraging 1st party vender lock-in based hardware sales to make up for it.

Yes, software only companies are still finding viable business models, but they are getting demonized for it even though it's a required reaction to changes in the marketplace (such as those caused by companies like BM and Apple). To the point of everyone that hates Adobe's business model makes, yes at some moment in time it's not going to make sense to pay for an ongoing subscription when you can get something like FCP X or Resolve for peanuts (and I wouldn't be surprised to see BM eventually drop the price of Resolve to be cheaper than FCP X). So what's Adobe's play then?

Let's say they take a page out of BM's book and buy AJA and Tangent. Adobe becomes a hardware company that sells the entire Adobe software suite for $250 (and gives a away a free version that just has a few high end features missing). Tangent panels now only work with Adobe software and if you need any sort of video I/O you can only use AJA products. Both BM's and Adobe's support of their hardware with third party software is spotty best because they'd rather you use Resolve or PPro respectively.

So now, as consumers, we are stuck having to choose between purposefully incompatible ecosystems again even though one of the best things about the desktop NLE revolution was that these arbitrary hardware barriers were broken down allowing us to easily, and affordably, pick and choose the best tools for each situation. And what about smaller competitors like Pixelmator or Affinity? When the entire Adobe suite is only $250 (or free) for life I'm sure demand for up and coming competitors like those will contract significantly.

As consumers/end users we end up with fewer options and no real incentive for new competitors to enter the fray. That doesn't strike me as a good thing, but maybe that's just the inevitable conclusion to a maturing industry in this day and age?

For simplicity's sake I left Avid out of the discussion, but I think at this point Avid is the least likely to be pushing market trends/change/disruption compared to Adobe, Apple and BM.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]