APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Apple to ditch Intel?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: Apple to ditch Intel?
on Apr 2, 2018 at 9:23:28 pm

[Bill Davis] "The iPad Pro (and the new little one!) seem to be just fine with those A-series chips, so those devices do a LOT of computing and I/O functions without a big traditional outside CPU."

iPads can live in their own walled garden and developers do not need to worry about common instruction sets. Not so in the desktop world. Most software companies were glad when Apple standardized on Intel, however, were not happy with the pain it caused them to make the switch. If Apple switches away from Intel on their most powerful desktops, I suspect you will have a lot of high-end software developers facing that tough decision of whether or not the pain of change is worth the return. I would expect to see a bit of an exodus.

[Bill Davis] "Then maybe the user just piles the GPUs up in order to scale raw computing power for stuff like we need?"

Well, maybe. Especially since the software in general does not support a pile of GPUs, unless you are mining bitcoin. I think it's actually more likely that Apple would also abandon AMD in this move and not have a separate GPU partner. Maybe eGPUs would be viable, but maybe not. Especially when the Windows/PC option becomes more attractive for that traditional user.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]