APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why one user Switched to FCPX

COW Forums : Sony Catalyst

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Gissing
Re: Why one user Switched to FCPX
on Feb 27, 2018 at 11:52:50 pm

[Scott Witthaus]"Let's really be fair. What are your needs from an NLE?"

My needs are to take edited projects from a variety of NLEs (Avid, Pr, Resolve & X), grade, stabilise, do object removal and basic compositing, denoise, reframe, create titles and then reversions of that for a variety of deliverables from Vimeo to cinema, all meeting strict tech specs from broadcasters and cinemas. I also have to do the same process for audio including multichannel deliveries including a recent 22.2 mix for a museum installation. Again the audio versioning has to meet international loudness levels be 5.1, stereo and mono/ Dolby surround compatible.

I do a small amount of project origination that I edit and deliver from documentary to music video. I need a system that can handle all drive formats, codecs from DV to cDNG, r3d, ProRes, DNx, DPX etc. I need to have performance to be able to play those to a 4k monitor for real time review of grades and to QC for delivery. I need to render a range of deliverables that doesn't take days. So my needs are for a system that can take almost anything thrown at it, turn around a final deliverable with all the tech and delivery requirements quickly and at 4k resolution, for a usually pitiful budget under tight deadlines.

For the past six years I have not had an Apple only based hardware or software solution to meet those needs. I must be able to read all the xml, AAF, OMF and EDL options that people throw at me and be able to chose hardware that I can constantly upgrade GPUs. I must also be able to plug in any sort of drive from NTFS, HFS+, ext3, with USB3, to USB-c and Thunderbolt connectors. I also need to plug in multiple drives with multiple formats and connectors at any time. So I must have cross platform software so I can chose the right hardware and OS for my particular needs.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]