APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why one user Switched to FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Why one user Switched to FCPX
on Feb 21, 2018 at 6:51:42 pm

[Tim Wilson] "I don't think it has anything to do with the economy, but more of a recognition that the stuff we have works pretty well, and moving to new platforms/devices/operating systems without NEEDING to causes more problems than it solves. "

Well, when you say "economy" do you mean overall growth (or loss), or overall price of goods and services (including video services)?

I think that while yes, computer refresh is down, productivity with that one machine is up. Way up.

I remember the new computer every 18 months cycle. It was the time of g3 to g4, or single core to dual core, or SCSI to PCI to PCIe. There were real infrastructure changes that would ripple out to almost everything you owned. There were shifts like editing uncompressed SD to editing uncompressed HD and changing the entire infrastructure to accommodate. Buying a new computer also meant buying the new infrastructure around it.

Now, all of that is done with a single cable and perhaps an adapter or breakout box. It is a bit of a different world. Specialization is greatly reduced. One computer can do a whole lot more these days than those days, and ironically, the profit margins of yore could do a whole lot more than the profit margins of today. So while having stuff that works pretty well today is good, it means that you have to do a whole more with it in order for it to turn the business crank. There are also real world limits of processing power, corporate responsibility (waste, power management, etc) now that everything a chip in it, as well as having to buy everything else you need to run your business these days.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]