APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Just the Messinger...Vincent LaForets Blog today - FWIW.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim Wilson
Re: Just the Messinger...Vincent LaForets Blog today - FWIW.
on Feb 19, 2018 at 9:08:20 am

[Steve Connor] "Rubbish, it's Adobe and BMD software that's NOT supporting the new iMac Pro, they're the ones causing the problem NOT Apple.

The iMac Pro is very clear intent that they are still interested in the "high end video professional""

It's conceivable to me that both perspectives are true in a way. Apple cares about high end video professionals, as long as they're running FCPX.

Anyone else, they're happy to have as low-hanging fruit, but such people aren't the mission.

My assumption is that Adobe and BMD would be delighted to have the same access to the innards of Apple's hardware (including chips) and operating software that Apple's own developers do. They likely prevented from it, though, certainly practically, if not legally. I don't know a single thing about Apple's support for third-party development these days, and I could easily be a million miles off the mark regarding the current state of things, but I can assure you that this was entirely the case "back in the day." Apple was quite specific about the kinds of optimization that they had not the least interest in helping us pursue.

This isn't to denigrate the efforts of Apple's third-party outreach and support efforts. Those people do care. But I think it's important in a debate to make the value-neutral observation that limits exist to the kinds of help or access that they're able to provide. All those render tests and other benchmarks in articles like Vincent's are simply outlining the specific tenets that spring from the proposition that "Apple optimizes for their own stuff in ways they don't allow anyone else to."

Business as usual. At a certain point, we have to acknowledge that Apple's coolness toward anybody else's software running on their machines -- again, hoping to make that sound value-neutral -- isn't a bug, but a feature. Apple would be failing at their most basic tasks if their own application software didn't absolutely blow away the experience of using anyone else's applications on their own platform.

But to extrapolate from that to "Apple doesn't care about [implied ALL] high-end video professionals" is leaps too far. Heck, another example of the extent of Apple's caring is asking you to pay only $249 for apparently a lifetime's worth of access to the best possible experience on their platform.

If you want to pay more for a lesser experience, well, go right ahead. Or split the difference and go for a free version of Resolve.

There's no problem here for Apple to solve. Nothing different to be done. They're doing what they've been doing for generations. Caring deeply about your experience using their stuff.

Anyone else's stuff? I'm not sure they care enough to copy-paste one of these: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]