APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: iMac Pro thoughts

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Kimery
Re: iMac Pro thoughts
on Feb 18, 2018 at 12:43:29 am

[Gabriel Spaulding] "If you were looking for a job at another post facility that's a different story, but in that case you'd no longer be a freelancer."

While it's common to use 'freelance' as an umbrella term to cover both freelancers and independent contractors they aren't the same thing. A freelance employee is still an employee of the company (W2) while an independent contractor is not.

Some employers will classify freelancers as ICs in order to avoid things like payroll taxes but that's a bit shady and illegal. And some employers will hire freelancers to fill staff positions, becauset by hiring a freelancer they don't have to provide staff benefits (not illegal, but still shady). This, and/or a freelancer staying with the same company for years, is usually referred to as 'perma-lance'.

I went freelance/IC again about 6 or 7 years ago and I'd say 3/4 of my time I'm working as a freelance employee so I need to know the gear that companies typically use. In my neck of the woods it's Avid and PPro for editing (an AE/PS for graphics).

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]