APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: iMac Pro thoughts

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim Wilson
Re: iMac Pro thoughts
on Feb 17, 2018 at 11:29:44 pm

[greg janza] "He added this at the end: "At the end of the day: we’re going to have to become proficient w ALL NLEs – Final Cut Pro. X, Adobe Premiere, Davinci Resolve and … well no: Not Sony Vegas …sorry. Is that still around?""

Yes, except MAGIX bought it and calls it VEGAS Pro. Still very much around, with an active forum here at the COW. If you're not using it, you probably don't need to, but the people who love it are the most enthusiastic user body I've ever seen, outstripping even the most ardent FCPX-philes and "I'll still be using Avid after I'm dead" Media Composers.

But I don't buy for a minute that most people need more than one. The real takeaway of FCP going "poof" and vanishing is that, no matter how much folks loved it, and loved their lives using it, it was more likely than not NOT the best fit for their work. It was its own dead end, and to the extent that both Adobe Premiere and DaVinci Resolve suggest a future for FCP that might have been, they both underscore to me all the reasons why FCP itself couldn't have gotten there.

And I don't say this with any lack of love. Remember, I adopted FCP when it was still at Macromedia running on Windows. LOL I loved it. But it was my 4th NLE by that point, and by the time I became Product Manager at Boris FX, I had to become at least passingly conversant with around 2 dozen NLEs and a half dozen more compositing environments. My overwhelming impression was, wow, there's a lot of great stuff out there that does a lot of cool things! I think it's kind of cool that circumstances led to so many other folks finding similar experiences.

That said, there are of course many thousands of folks still happily using FCP. More power to 'em. Noting again that before I left Boris FX to go to Avid, I was living and breathing FCP all day, every day. I understood why people felt it was all they'd ever need.

That's why I think there was also a giddiness -- preceded by anger, accompanied by nausea in the early days, but still, something of a euphoria -- unleashed when people realized that they didn't have to settle for what one developer offered them. If there's something you want or need in one application or another, if a client wants you to use this rather than that, it's not a crisis. It's an opportunity. If you're so inclined, it's FUN to be using more than one.

So it's not that anyone HAS to learn more than one. It's that it's fulfilling for ME to be the one to decide these things, and not fall into crisis if a client asks for a non-favorite. None of this is a big deal...whereas before 2011, it ALL seemed like a big deal.

But if using lots of tools doesn't sound fun, or if you find enough of what you need in X, PPro, Resolve, MC, or whatever, heck, even Vegas, I don't think it represents a failure of imagination to find that one developer has created a sweet spot big enough for you to find what you're looking for for a while. Nobody HAS to do anything.

Which is a pretty sweet spot indeed.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]