APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why one user Switched to FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim Wilson
Re: Why one user Switched to FCPX
on Feb 17, 2018 at 6:36:34 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "So future proofing in this sense, is more like legacy dragging. "

VERY well said. I've never heard it expressed like this, but it's perfect.

[Jeremy Garchow] "....including the the new legacy a recent purchase inevitably represents."

The most fundamental shift in the past decade, certainly the most representative state of the current decade, is the shift away from new computers. This entire industry, both hardware and software, used to be driven by new computers every 12-18 months. In the early days of the COW, I'd say very nearly 100% of the folks here were swapping in at least one new box or laptop, or both, every single upgrade cycle.

Now, it's not uncommon to skip multiple upgrade cycles, all of which are coming much farther apart. Can you imagine trying to run a cutting edge business with even a 5 year old box in 2002? Yet the number of 2011, and even 2008, computers that are out there doing the heaviest of heavy lifting is quite remarkable to me.

I think we're all still figuring out what it means to live in a world where we're buying stuff so much less often. 😄 Heck, even Apple is running into (relatively little, but still measurable) trouble because people are even skipping upgrade cycles on phones. I don't think it has anything to do with the economy, but more of a recognition that the stuff we have works pretty well, and moving to new platforms/devices/operating systems without NEEDING to causes more problems than it solves.

Don't have a problem that needs solving? Want to avoid new problems? Easy. Don't buy new stuff. 😂

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]