APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why one user Switched to FCPX

COW Forums : Sony Catalyst

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim Wilson
Re: Why one user Switched to FCPX
on Feb 17, 2018 at 4:34:04 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Here's the danger in promoting that concept."

I'm not promoting the concept. That IS the concept. 😂

[Oliver Peters] "Considering your "shared" export as any sort of "master" is a recipe for disaster."

But the concept of "master" and "sharing" don't have anything to do with each other. This is yet vector another along which "Share" and "Export" are actually the opposite of each other. A master is something you hang onto. "Share" is by its nature ephemeral. Instagram Stories last 24 hours. A video on Snapchat vanishes after it's been seen.

Note again that I'm not just talking about kids on phones. Huge money is going into these platforms from companies whose money you'd be happy to take, and very likely are. Among the folks producing original content are A+E Networks, Discovery, ESPN, NBCUniversal and Turner (owner of CNN, TBS and TNT). WSJ reports that Fox and CBS are sniffing around because the numbers are insane.

NBC does a twice-daily newscast for Snapchat in vertical orientation that's getting 29 million viewers. So sez NBC, so you can take that for what it's worth, and having invested $500 million in Snapchat's IPO, they have a stake in promoting the platform for its own sake....but it's not like 29 million people are watching NBC Nightly News. It's the top-rated newscast on broadcast, and pulling in 7 million, give or take. Those folks are more thoroughly monetized for now for sure, but there's a there there, even for grown-up, mainstream media creation.

It does raise a question, though. To what extent does NBC archive their 2-5 minute Snapchat news elements that disappear after viewing? I mean, ALL newscasts are ephemeral, right? Except to the extent that they're not. Nobody has bigger archives than news organizations.

So you're right that especially for producers like the ones who frequent these forums, social platforms represent a gray area, and in fact best practices are still going to include real live archiving. YouTube is not the best place for archiving.

[Oliver Peters] "these forums are littered with threads by panicked users who can't access their project file any longer, because it is corrupt, or a version has been updated, or a plug-in is now missing"

And you left out, "The original application won't launch on the new OS that all my machines are running."

'twas ever thus, though, from the dawn of the nonlinear age. How often did you or your clients have to go back to the VIDEOTAPE master, redigitize the section that needed changing, rebuild in the NLE, then insert edit back to tape. Not because anyone involved was less than thorough on the backup, but because of some weird thing that was entirely outside anyone's control.

This is why people who NEED access to old stuff are doing a combination of freezing machines in legacy states AND updating projects with each new version. You need BOTH approaches if you're going to be truly ready for anything.

But sure, I agree that people who count on YouTube as the only place that their finished project lives are asking for trouble.

Then again, you could say the same thing about any online repository, for anything. Surely you know folks who figured that Wordpress is the only backup for their writing that they needed, only to discover some bizarre corruption or inability to get at their accounts. If only they'd saved Word files to their own computers! And, uhm, Dropbox, and probably a couple of other places.

THAT aspect of what you're talking about has nothing to do with misunderstanding the relative values of permanence and ephemerality of Export and Share.

Nor does it change the fundamental workflow differences of the two. Ideally, the thing you have in front of you when you click the Share button is in fact your master file, but that's never going to be the case every time for everyone. It certainly doesn't make a robust "Share" feature set any less critical for some people to have, even if other folks will never need it, and might indeed encounter nightmares if they implement "Share" workflows where they should be using "Export" workflows.

Ain't none 'a this either-or, though. That's my point, and indeed the point that Apple, Adobe, and Bill have been making all along. "Professional" media production doesn't mean just one thing anymore. It'd be a lot easier to talk about and develop for if it only meant 10 things, and we could agree on what those 10 things are, but it could now mean almost anything. It has to. Not because I'm promoting such notions. Because that's just how it is.

And yeah, this is yet another area where new platforms don't obviate old best practices, but when Robert Burns wrote "The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men / Gang aft agley / An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain / For promis'd joy", he could just as easily have been speaking of Export, mastering, and archiving as Share. 😂

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]