APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why one user Switched to FCPX

COW Forums : Sony Catalyst

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: Why one user Switched to FCPX
on Feb 13, 2018 at 10:58:13 pm

[Neil Goodman] "You think ISIS work worse as shared storage with PPro and FCPX than it does with Avid? Id figure performance would be the same because technically its just storage?"

Nope. I think it's absolutely worse with Premiere and FCPX. First of all, Avid's current storage is Nexis, and according to Avid, they've worked hard to make the other NLEs equal clients. So definitely ISIS is tweaked more for Avid.

Second, you are generally dealing with Avid-optimized media, that also helps. In my experience, both Premiere and FCPX don't perform nearly as well on shared storage than they do on local storage. Are your systems connected to ISIS as 1GigE or 10GigE? I would image that if you have 50 machines cranking with anything other than low-res proxies, your system will choke.

All 3 NLEs work best with media for which they are optimized. I'm actually pleasantly surprised that Avid, via AMA, is relatively responsive on non-Avid, NAS shared storage - often more so than FCPX and Premiere. I've also found lately that Premiere on shared storage is actually quite responsive with media from Canon C300 and RED cameras and not so much with ProRes.

With both FCPX and Premiere, we've lately taken to using their internal proxy workflow, because of shared storage performance (QNAP, 10GigE).

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]