APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why one user Switched to FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Scott Witthaus
Re: Why one user Switched to FCPX
on Feb 13, 2018 at 1:06:06 pm

Interesting video. A couple thing stood out to me:

What this guy and video does illustrates just part of the huge and growing visual storytelling market out there. Is he a pro? Hell yes he is a "professional" because he is making money at his trade. So when people make comments stating that "pro's" are limited to Hollywood and broadcast, it is absolutely false. Perhaps Apple understands this and is targeting this market first over the Hollywood and broadcast niche (because of course you need a $1k iPhoneX to shoot 4k video with and edit in FCPX).

It was fun to watch his "ah-ha" moment on the system. I recently finished teaching 45 students the basics of X, some who had experience on Premiere, but the majority were totally new to NLE's. I promised all of them would be editors by the end of that 2-hour class. Much to their surprise, they were importing, editing, adding music and effects (yes, some found the cheesey iMovie effects like "boogie-lights" text effect) all within that 2 hours. And the next week they shot and finished an assignment on their own without sending me one panicky email over the weekend like I used to get. I say it every year that Apple did something very right with this software to allow the learning process to be so much faster than when I taught Legacy. The Premiere students spent the first half hour being frustrated trying to force X to work like Premiere. After I coached them off of that ledge, they caught up with the rest of the class with several saying they just might switch over.

His comments about still doing docs on Premiere was interesting and I will be curious to see if he changes his mind going forward. I am halfway through and hour long doc and I feel I am way ahead of where I would be using a more traditional NLE. Now, maybe I will hit the wall on X in the future, but with 20 minutes or so left to cut, I don't see that wall on the horizon. In fact we (my producer and I) just finished cutting a trailer for fundraising where I did some CC in X (color board. Still on 10.3.4 and won't upgrade until we are done) and the producer liked it so much, he was musing if we could do the CC in X and how much that would pare the budget. I told him to slow down....

Anyway, thanks for sharing the video and now I realize I need to say "dude" more and wear a heavy winter jacket inside... ;-)

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Visual Storyteller
https://vimeo.com/channels/1322525
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]