APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why one user Switched to FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joe Marler
Re: Why one user Switched to FCPX
on Feb 13, 2018 at 12:56:52 am

Re Philip Bloom's statement about smug FCPX and Resolve users who "never have issues", I personally have never used any NLE which never crashed. I've had FCPX crash a lot, although it seems to crash *less* than Premiere.

NLEs have a difficult challenge. The combination of myriad code paths and codecs, stringent real-time latency windows, when combined with complex workloads form a murky multi-dimensional space where software load paths intersect with features, hardware and user actions.

Lurking in there are hidden "islands of instability". A certain combination of user actions, hardware, codec and system state can cause repeated crashes. Another user doing almost the same action on almost the same hardware may never experience that.

From the standpoint of software development and testing, it is a grinding, tedious job to ferret out all those problem areas. Maybe Apple does a better job, or maybe they have an advantage because of fewer total test permutations via less hardware variation. OTOH it seems Avid (which also runs on Mac and Windows) has a better reputation for reliability.

It's very difficult to objectively measure software reliability across products. However since Mac users can opt to send application crash data to Apple, this would include both Premiere and FCPX crashes. Adobe being only an app vendor wouldn't have that data. I wonder if the Apple system people forwarded this data to the Pro Apps development team.

That said, in the book "Behind the Seen: How Walter Murch Edited Cold Mountain Using Apple's Final Cut Pro", by Charles Koppelman, Murch was asked was he scared of FCP crashing or losing data. He response was Avid crashed and corrupted data so much (at least back then) that FCP could not possibly be any worse, and he figured they could afford more workstations so at least a few would be up and running.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]