APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why one user Switched to FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Shawn Miller
Re: Why one user Switched to FCPX
on Feb 12, 2018 at 11:54:18 pm

[Paul Golden] "

Nonsense. Have you looked at Motion? It can play back footage in real-time at speed without pre-caching. This is not inherent to NLE vs compositing software. Besides, what's really the difference between a timeline based comp software and and a timeline based NLE? They just have different feature sets, but they're all capable of compositing to a large extent. Yes, AE has a more robust tool set for comping, but the basic nature of playback should be similar for things that don't have tons of layers."

AFAIK, Motion also caches frames before and after the playhead, like other applications. Maybe someone smarter than me (Like Simon Ubsdell) can correct me if I'm wrong. High end compositors also get real time performance by caching, they just use beefy hardware and better background processing to get there.

[Paul Golden] " Besides, what's really the difference between a timeline based comp software and and a timeline based NLE? "

That's a good question, Paul... there is a lot of overlap between the two different application types in terms of capability, but the differences are pretty important (real time playback vs access to deep color information being at the top of the list). It's a bit like saying that vector drawing applications and bitmap editors are really the same thing because they can handle the same file types.

[Paul Golden] " ...but the basic nature of playback should be similar for things that don't have tons of layers."

Try compositing two 4k, half float, OpenEXR sequences in Motion and then try it in your NLE of choice... then tell me what the results are - I don't think it's as simple as anything that can play video can do it in real time. ☺ Come to think of it... even Nuke Studio's preferred format is 16Bit DPX sequences, that's if you want real time playback with their recommended hardware.

Shawn

Shawn

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]